So what are food desert?
- Food Deserts are areas that lack access to healthy foods.
- In 2007, food deserts rose to national attention as potential intermediary mechanisms that contribute to neighborhood-level inequalities in health.
- Research suggests that poor neighborhoods and neighborhoods with a large proportion of minority residents are more likely to be food deserts.
- The prevalence of food deserts may also explain why minorities, like African Americans and Latinos, suffer disproportionately from diet-related diseases, like obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
- Research on food deserts thus constitutes a new and evolving area of research, with connections to sociology, economics, public health, public policy and urban planning; and with a clear connection to social justice.
- I cannot offer monetary compensation for this work, but in exchange, you will have access to my data for your own research.
- You could, for example, use this data for your BA paper.
- And get guidance on how to craft your BA topic.
- You would also get help in building your bibliography or literature review, and to finding funding to support your research.
- This is a great opportunity for students considering interested in getting graduate-level research experience in an area that is applicable to both academic scholarship and public policy.
The right undergraduate collaborator willInterested?
- Have an interest in research in inequality
- Be hardworking, thorough and have good attention to detail.
- Having experience with ArcGIS is a plus, or willing to learn the skill sets needed.
- Contact Anjie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When you write, please describe why you are interested in this project, and what experience (courses, skills) you have that make you a good fit for collaboration.