Asian American Institute’s Impact Fellows Program is an Asian American summer leadership program that incorporates 80 hours of training and in-class learning with 96 hours of internship hours at one of AAI’s Community Partners over a 6 week period. This program helps to develop emerging leaders by providing them with culturally relevant training and perspective. Through the training, individuals will be able to utilize their own ideas and interests for civic engagement work in their communities.
After 2 weeks of training, Fellows will be placed in civic organizations around Chicago, where they will work 4 days a week for 4 weeks. Work assignments will be tailored according to the needs of each organization. During the 4 weeks of interning 1 day per week will be devoted to leadership training and development, group discussions and work towards a final group project. Locally recognized trainers will deliver workshops in critical skill areas. Discussions will focus on issues facing the Asian American Community in Illinois and will be facilitated by local community leaders and AAI trainers. For more information please visit AAI’s website http://aaichicago.org/en/leadership-development
IFP is looking for candidates who have prior experience in Asian Pacific American communities, a passion for learning and growing their leadership skills and an interest in gaining work experience in a civic based organization.
- Illinois resident (home or school)
- Must be available for the entire length of the program (June 18-July 27 NO EXCEPTIONS)
- Ages 17-22
- Leaders in their communities who are committed to addressing the issues facing the Asian American community in Illinois
Applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated leadership
- Community Service
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Maturity and professional demeanor
- Grade point average
- Additional consideration will be given to individuals coming from disadvantaged situations (option essay must be filled out to indicate situation)
To access the application please click the following link: http://aaichicago.org/images/stories/Publications/ifp_2012_application_form.pdf