From August 1st-4th, Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Chicago Ideas Week, World Business Chicago, ChicagoNEXT, Built In Chicago, Chicagoland Entrepreneurial Center (CEC), University of Illinois, and Lollapalooza will invite 100 university students from across the country as well as alumni of the ThinkChicago program to take a tour of the Chicago’s fast growing tech scene and also attend the 3-day Lollapalooza music festival. Each admitted student will receive a ticket to Lollapalooza as well as the opportunity to attend company career fairs, meet with Chicago-based businesses, and participate in panels featuring Mayor Emanuel, business leaders, and Chicago-based technologists.
Types of Students we’re looking for:
ThinkChicago: Lollapalooza is seeking candidates who are enthusiastic about digital technology, computer science, innovation, or entrepreneurship and have demonstrated a commitment to excellence as evidenced by academic honors, leadership ability, extracurricular activities, and/or professional achievement. It is preferred that THINKCHICAGO applicants be in their junior or senior years of their undergraduate studies. In addition, alumni of ThinkChicago who attended ThinkChicago in 2011 or 2012 are encouraged to apply and a separate application will be distributed to them individually.
- ThinkChicago • August 1 – 2, 2013
- Lollapalooza: • August 2 – 4, 2013
- All 3 days of the Lollapalooza 2013 music festival, plus a walkthrough of the artist compound and production areas, and a Q&A session with the Lollapalooza producers.
- A career fair featuring presentations from local companies hosted by 1871, where students will be introduced to many of Chicago’s most innovative startups.
- Panels moderated by Mayor Emanuel and featuring Chicago-based technologists, including Obama for American 2012 CTO Harper Reed, Siri founder Dag Kittlaus, BrightTag CTO Eric Lunt, Eved founder and CEO Talia Mashiach, and GrubHub co-founder and CEO Matt Maloney.
- Resume pairings and “speed” interviews hosted by local companies. Testimonies and presentations from recent grads who are currently working in Chicago.
Lollapalooza is a long-running summer music festival, and last year attracted 270,000 visitors. This year’s lineup will include the Cure, Nine Inch Nails, Mumford & Sons, the Killers, Phoenix, Vampire Weekend, the National, the Postal Service, Major Lazer, Kendrick Lamar, Beach House, Local Natives, Grizzly Bear, and Hot Chip. For a link to the full-line up, visit www.lollapalooza.com
The ThinkChicago: Lollapalooza application can be completed here, or by following the link provided below. Applications must be submitted no later than June 7th, 2013. Completed applications must include a resume and an unofficial transcript. In addition, participating students will be required to secure their own travel and lodging. Questions about the program can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.