Postdoctoral Fellowships for Academic Diversity at the University of Pennsylvania
The University of Pennsylvania (PENN) is dedicated to worldwide academic excellence and is enriched by individuals, who, through their different races and ethnicities, nationalities, gender identities, abilities, economic status, and sexual orientation, contribute to an intellectually challenging and inclusive educational setting. The Academic Diversity Fellowship Program seeks to attract promising scholars and educators from different backgrounds, races, ethnic groups, and other diverse groups whose life experience, research experience and employment background will contribute significantly to our academic excellence.
The fellowships are available for postdoctoral training in all areas of study at the University and seek to attract graduate students who have completed, or will complete their requirements for Ph.D. by their start date and postdoctoral scholars who have completed their dissertation within the last three years. Persons with professional degrees (such as M.D., D.M.D., V.M.D., J.D.) who are within a year of completing their post-degree professional training will also be considered. Candidates must be US citizens or permanent residents. Postdocs, residents and fellows who currently have a position at Penn are ineligible for this program.
The three year fellowships will begin as early as October 1, 2010.
Stipends and Allowances:
Fellows receive a stipend of $43,000 in year 1 with $2,000 increments in years 2 and 3, as well as annual allowances for travel ($2,000) and research ($5,000), and one-time relocation expenses of $5,000. The University also provides a medical, vision, dental and life insurance benefits package. Successful candidates will receive highly mentored scholarly and research training as well as courses and workshops to enhance their research success skills and prepare them for a faculty position in a major university.
A committee appointed by Vice Provost for Research will review and select the candidates for the Postdoctoral Fellowships for Academic Diversity .
Required application materials include:
(1) A completed fellowship application form <> ,
(2) A curriculum vitae including current and pending publications,
(3) Three letters of reference from people acquainted with the applicant’s work. Applicants should request each person providing a reference letter to send the letter directly to the Office of the Vice Provost for Research, University of Pennsylvania. Letter may be sent by regular mail, fax, or attached to an email to email@example.com. The letter must contain the reference identifier along with the applicant's name.
(4) A personal statement, no longer than three pages, which addresses the following:
· reviews your previous research accomplishments
· outlines your future research goals
· describes your commitment to pursuing an academic career
· includes academic, employment or other life experiences that would bring new perspectives to the University community and your chosen field
If you have any questions please contact Josie Rook, Executive Director, Office of the Vice Provost for Research at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Incomplete submissions will not be reviewed.
Please submit your application to:
Postdoctoral Fellowship for Academic Diversity
Office of the Vice Provost for Research
University of Pennsylvania
1 College Hall, Suite 118
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6303
All materials must be received by August 2, 2010.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received.