The Science and Technology Outreach and Mentoring Program (STOMP) is seeking individuals who want to gain invaluable education and outreach experience and are enthusiastic about elementary level science education.
- Current & past instructors range from undergraduates to postdocs.
- Interested individuals are preferred to be, but are not limited to, those actively involved in science related fields.
- Instructors are assigned to a group based on the availability of a position, their personal preferences and the effort is made to create multi and interdisciplinary groups.
- Instructors make and track their own hours; the commitment is approximately 5 hours per week.
- This job is a paid position.
STOMP currently staffs the science component of an after-school program at the North Kenwood Oakland (NKO) Elementary School. Instructors design engaging educational science activities for students in Kindergarten through 5th grade. STOMP seeks to encourage a mentoring role between instructors and students through a cooperative and exploratory learning environment.
Students meet once a week, on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday from 4:30 to 5:45; parents can pick up their children as early as 5:30. Sessions are divided by age into K-1st grades on Tuesdays, 4th-5th grades on Wednesdays, and 2nd-3rd grades on Thursdays. Instructors are assigned to one or more afternoon sessions per week and work collaboratively in groups of 4-5 instructors to develop, prepare and execute activities. Each group is responsible for developing curriculum and managing their team’s annual budget. Additionally, each group can draw from a pool of past activities and a well-stocked inventory of science supplies and equipment. STOMP also periodically participates in science related community outreach events such as the Argonne Open House and AAAS Family Days.
Please contact Michelle Horne-Terry at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
STOMP is looking to hire candidates for the 2011 - 2012 program.
Michelle Horne-Terry, Director for Performance Assurance and Education Programs, is beginning to interview candidates and hopes to identify at least 10 new instructors prior to the end of the quarter. Interested candidates should forward their resumes to email@example.com by May 20th.