The three year graduate training and research project will be based on the themes of “Mobilities, Circulation and Regulation”, which will bring together a team of approximately 15 faculty and graduate students from the University of Chicago with a similar group from Université Paris Diderot.
Yearly professor will teach a seminar in which you would enroll and gain UC credit. Likewise there would be a yearly conference and publication to present your research, along with summer funding of research exchanges. All transportation and subvention costs would be covered.
- In year one of the grant, in 2012-13, for example, 10 French graduate students would come to Chicago to join our ten-week seminar on methodology. For that year’s conference we would take our graduate students to Paris. And in the summer we would send some of our students to do research in Paris and some of their team would come to Chicago, again with all expenses paid.
- Year two will be organized around the themes of population circulations and receptions, and would be similarly structured around a workshop, seminar, conference and student exchanges.
- Followed in the third year with similar exchange mechanics, focused on the theme of population regulation.
Ramón A. Gutiérrez
The Preston and Sterling Morton Distinguished Service Professor of History Director, Center for the Study of Race, Politics, and Culture University of Chicago
1126 East 59th Street
Mail Box 118
Chicago, IL 60637-1554
phone: (773) 702-8063
fax: (773) 834-2000
James L. Hevia
Professor, International History and the New Collegiate Division Director, International Studies Program
124 Pick Hall
5828 S. University Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637
Phone: (773) 834-7585
Fax: (773) 834-0289
- Send a one-page (single-spaced) statement of interest by July 1, 2011, in which you describe your research interest in these themes, your disciplinary focus, how far along you are in your doctoral program.
- Also send a short CV (2 pages maximum) to Professors Jim Hevia and Ramón Gutiérrez at the following email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com