SAAPRI is seeking a part-time paid research intern to assist with projects from March through November of 2012 (10 to 20 hours per month), including (1) survey research on local South Asian American voters and (2) a demographic profile of local South Asian Americans. The intern will assist with research design, statistical analysis, writing, and community engagement. Depending on the intern’s interest and availability, additional research projects might also be available. The intern will be supervised by SAAPRI’s executive director. The position will be an excellent opportunity for professional development and community involvement.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills;
· Experience conducting statistical analysis of demographic data;
· Detail-oriented, organized, and professional;
· Ability to work independently; and
· Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines (with most deadlines being provided by SAAPRI well in advance).
· Self-starter with problem-solving skills and the ability to think creatively;
· Experience working with South Asian American community;
· Ability to explain research in a manner that is interesting and clear to a lay audience;
· Experience with Census data; and
· Experience with GIS software.
Most work will be done remotely from the place of the intern’s convenience. The intern should be based in the Chicago area and able to attend occasional meetings. Limited evening and weekend work might be required. SAAPRI encourages people of all backgrounds to apply.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Wednesday, March 7, 2012. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.