I'm excited to be back on campus this Spring for a final quarter of this academic year, one we're hoping to make better than the previous two, with a little help from the weather here and there of course!
I'm sending you an awesome opportunity Student Government has created in conjunction with the Office of Campus and Student Life. It's UChicago's first-ever Committee on Campus Expression. We're looking for a total of 8 grads and undergrads.
Apply here! Deadline Wednesday 4/4/12, 11:59 PM.
Description below and please shoot me an email with any questions.
**Looking for 8 students (Grads and UGrads)
**Deadline: Wednesday 4/4/12, 11:59 PM
The University of Chicago flourishes because of our diversity – in background, experience and opinion. The Committee on Campus Expression, a student committee chaired by Campus and Student Life, is charged with deepening the conversation among our community members about our institutional values as they relate to differing ideas and perspectives, and how they are expressed through designated practices and policies.
The Work The Committee will:
· Examine what expression means in the University of Chicago community.
· Pinpoint general and specific situations on campus in which the principles of expression take on added importance – giving special consideration to challenging conditions that frequently emerge in an academic community committed to free discourse and expression of ideas.
· Determine where and how conversations should occur within the student body that encourage a deep and pervasive understanding of the principles of civility and expression expressed in our policies and practices.
· Explore effective approaches to engage students in dialogue, process and programming
· Explore policies and documents identified by the Chair to determine synergies with the institutional definition of civility as indicated at civility.uchicago.edu.The Committee Membership The Committee will be chaired by Eleanor JB Daugherty, Assistant Vice President of Student Life and Associate Dean in the College and will conclude in the summer of 2012. This student committee will be composed through a selection process administered by Student Government. To maintain their position on the committee, members will be required to attend meetings twice a month.